Re: [patch][rfc] Enabling more optimizations with -ON

Sorry, Rafael, I'm not ignoring your proposal -- I'm just pondering
it. I'm not wild about the -O option in the first place, since it
implies that we can nicely arrange the various optimizations into some
order. Right now, we use it in exactly two places: -O1 with
--compress-debug-sections uses ZIP compression level 9 instead of 1,
and -O2 does tail optimization of the string tables. Both of those
probably would have been cleaner with distinct options, but it was
convenient and both simply trade a little link time for a smaller
executable without any risk. It's not clear to me that --gc-sections
or --icf are universally applicable, which is what bundling them with
some optimization level would imply.

-cary