This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [patch][rfc] Enabling more optimizations with -ON
- From: Rafael EspÃndola <rafael dot espindola at gmail dot com>
- To: Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Cc: Cary Coutant <ccoutant at google dot com>
- Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 09:19:14 -0500
- Subject: Re: [patch][rfc] Enabling more optimizations with -ON
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAG3jRe+UXKKwUq==KLx9TQx2cSr2F-=fgz6cN41TndGoTwgaoQ at mail dot gmail dot com>
On 3 November 2014 11:39, Rafael EspÃndola <email@example.com> wrote:
> In compilers the -ON options enable various optimizations. Different
> compilers (and compiler versions) have different ones, but the option
> itself is commonly available and selects a somewhat corresponding
> In both bfd ld and gold very few optimizations are enabled with the
> -ON options. This means that users have to know which optimizations
> are available:
> ld ...-O3 --gc-sections --icf=safe....
> If an optimization is added to one of them, a configure check has to
> be used to find if the program is being linked with gold or bfd (and
> which version).
> As a starting point, the attached patch changes gold to gc sections by
> default if given -O3 or higher. It can still be disabled with an
> explicit --no-gc-sections.
> 2014-11-03 Rafael Ãvila de EspÃndola <firstname.lastname@example.org>
> * options.cc (General_options::finalize): Set gc_sections by default
> if -O3 or higher is used.