This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Revert bfd_get_size checks
- From: Nicholas Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>
- To: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 14:43:26 +0000
- Subject: Re: Revert bfd_get_size checks
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20141106092808 dot GH30857 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org> <20141106114723 dot GI30857 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org> <20141106135105 dot GK30857 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org>
I think we should revert all of these bfd_get_size checks, given the
number of errors they have introduced, and that it's better to allow a
malloc, seek or read failure on a corrupt file than penalize good
files with a stat. Nick?
OK, *sigh*. I introduced the checks in order to produce more helpful
error messages when the BFD library encounters a corrupt file. At least
that was the plan. It obviously has not worked out so well.
I have already checked in one patch to revert some of the checks. Feel
free to revert the rest of them though. I will rerun the binutils
against all of the corrupt binaries afterwards and see if any real
failures pop up.