This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH, ARM/ld]Linker should return with error if failed to merge arch attribute
- From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha at arm dot com>
- To: Matthew Fortune <Matthew dot Fortune at imgtec dot com>, Terry Guo <flameroc at gmail dot com>, "binutils at sourceware dot org" <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 14:45:43 +0100
- Subject: Re: [PATCH, ARM/ld]Linker should return with error if failed to merge arch attribute
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAGbRaL5Z0iGviNi9aE8vixs7sDFemR4AyjnrMbb2c5Tb7eM-KA at mail dot gmail dot com> <6D39441BF12EF246A7ABCE6654B0235320F0BA5F at LEMAIL01 dot le dot imgtec dot org>
On 15/09/14 08:46, Matthew Fortune wrote:
> Terry Guo <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
>> terguo01@terry-pc01:case$ arm-none-eabi-readelf -A test.elf
>> Attribute Section: aeabi
>> File Attributes
>> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> Isn't this a bug in readelf? I would have thought all the inspection
> tools (objdump/readelf) should be able to report about inconsistent
> information rather than crash?
Probably there's *also* a bug in readelf. Recovering from corrupt
binaries is quite a hard problem to test, though, since there are many
ways in which a binary can be invalid.