This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH 5/7] MIPS testsuite cleanup - part 5 (irix related)
- From: Richard Sandiford <rdsandiford at googlemail dot com>
- To: Matthew Fortune <Matthew dot Fortune at imgtec dot com>
- Cc: "binutils\ at sourceware dot org" <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2014 10:43:18 +0100
- Subject: Re: [PATCH 5/7] MIPS testsuite cleanup - part 5 (irix related)
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <6D39441BF12EF246A7ABCE6654B0235320F05745 at LEMAIL01 dot le dot imgtec dot org>
Matthew Fortune <Matthew.Fortune@imgtec.com> writes:
> This patch fixes issue solely shown by irix configurations. I'm
> not convinced there is any value in continuing to have irix
> support in binutils given it is end of life. I'll follow up with
> an RFC to look at deprecation and removal of this. The same
> goes for non-traditional output and emulations for MIPS although
> I suspect that may be met with slightly more resistance.
Yeah, IRIX can definitely go. I wanted to do that myself but it's
such a tangled web that in the end I wasn't sure it was worth
physically removing the code.
"Non-traditional" output has been the norm for plain mips*-elf
(as opposed to MTI-vendor mips*-elf) for a long time though.
I think there would need to be a compelling reason to change.
If this patch isn't used by anything other than IRIX, let's drop it.
The IRIX results have been terrible for a long time and there is no
benefit in weakening the test just for IRIX.