This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH] MIPS/gas: LQC2, LDC3 and SQC2 macro !microMIPS assertions
- From: Richard Sandiford <rdsandiford at googlemail dot com>
- To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro at codesourcery dot com>
- Cc: <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 22:11:24 +0100
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] MIPS/gas: LQC2, LDC3 and SQC2 macro !microMIPS assertions
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <alpine dot DEB dot 1 dot 10 dot 1408211306030 dot 2958 at tp dot orcam dot me dot uk>
"Maciej W. Rozycki" <email@example.com> writes:
> This adds missing !microMIPS assertions for the LQC2, LDC3 and SQC2
> macros whose underlying instructions have no microMIPS encoding.
I don't really see the need for these kinds of asserts. If the instruction
isn't available we're going to assert later anyway. The problem with asserting
here too is that (as this patch proves) it's very hard to maintain the
consistent duplication of information without some kind of automatic help.
I'd prefer to go for consistency the other way and remove
!mips_opts.micromips asserts that are only there because there's no
underlying microMIPS instruction. This includes the one in the earlier