Re: GAS .fpu directive

On Wed, 2014-08-20 at 16:44 +0100, Nicholas Clifton wrote:
> Renato Golin wrote:
> > The only use case I can think of is if there is a conditional jump
> > based on the existence of instructions, so a block that has neon is
> > only executed if there's no exception, but that still doesn't need a
> > .fpu vfp somewhere else.
>
> Right.  Basically such an sceanario is theoretically possible, but it is
> unlikely that it will ever turn up in real code.

Is this true for .machine as well?  If so, I know we emit a .machine <cpu>
midway through some glibc code to temporarily modify the .machine value
in as assembler file, before changing it back.  The ugly details are here:

  https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2009-01/msg00278.html

As Alan mentions in the follow-up, we ended up using:

 .machine push
 .machine power6
   source that needs power6 insn
 .machine pop

...so there is _some_ use for being able to emit these directives anywhere
in the source file.

Peter