This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: is the default ld linker script GPL?
- From: Nicholas Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>
- To: Daniel Wilkerson <daniel dot wilkerson at gmail dot com>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 17:26:02 +0100
- Subject: Re: is the default ld linker script GPL?
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CALzRTR=mxg31sjc6t5nqM-jNu30Cqr+NW81GjY0+xwwc=BZL_g at mail dot gmail dot com>
However, I am wondering if it is GPL. I could think of it as an
elaborate configuration file, or I could think of it as a program in a
domain specific programming language. Either way, it would be helpful
to clarify this.
You are correct - this is something that is not currently explicitly
defined. The files should be covered by a copyright notice but they do
not need to be under the GPL. So please consider the following to apply
to all linker scripts in the ld/scripttempl/ directory:
Copyright (C) 2012-2014 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
Copying and distribution of this file, with or without modification,
are permitted in any medium without royalty provided the copyright
notice and this notice are preserved.
I will be checking a patch shortly to make this change official.