This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [Patch, avr] Fix PR 13697 without KEEPing .data
- From: Senthil Kumar Selvaraj <senthil_kumar dot selvaraj at atmel dot com>
- To: Denis Chertykov <chertykov at gmail dot com>
- Cc: "binutils at sourceware dot org" <binutils at sourceware dot org>, Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>, Georg Johann Lay <avr at gjlay dot de>
- Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 16:15:43 +0530
- Subject: Re: [Patch, avr] Fix PR 13697 without KEEPing .data
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20140702115557 dot GA20760 at atmel dot com> <CADOs=zbVOwg-hTxGrHzqQti8Vut=xsQzOJpGGMogbKofQsYo4w at mail dot gmail dot com>
On Thu, Jul 03, 2014 at 07:46:13PM +0400, Denis Chertykov wrote:
> 2014-07-02 15:55 GMT+04:00 Senthil Kumar Selvaraj
> > The fix for PR 13697
> > (https://sourceware.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=13697) added a
> > KEEP(*(.data)) to prevent the .bss section from getting an incorrect
> > VMA.
> > The patch fixes the problem, but it also prevents the linker
> > from gc'ing .data sections. It also only keeps sections named
> > .data, so -fdata-sections could potentially cause the fix to break
> > (it works right now because the assembler generates an empty .data section).
> > The following patch fixes the problem by explicitly setting the
> > .bss section's VMA to the end of .data's VMA. It kinda looks redundant,
> > as both .data and .bss are assigned to the same region, but is needed because
> > the region's ORIGIN is hardcoded whereas the start of .data/.bss varies
> > by device (and is passed along as -Tdata=<address> by the compiler
> > driver).
> > Does this look ok? I verified that the testcase mentioned in the
> > bug report works fine.
> > If ok, could someone commit please? I don't have commit access.
> > Regards
> > Senthil
> > ld/ChangeLog
> > 2014-07-02 Senthil Kumar Selvaraj <email@example.com>
> > * scripttempl/avr.sc: Remove KEEP for .data and
> > force .bss VMA to end of .data VMA.
The changes don't show up in the master branch.
does not show it either?