This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Suppressing unresolved symbol errors when a library couldn't be found
- From: Cary Coutant <ccoutant at google dot com>
- To: Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>, "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>, Alan Modra <amodra at gmail dot com>, Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>, Ian Lance Taylor <iant at google dot com>
- Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 13:36:48 -0700
- Subject: Suppressing unresolved symbol errors when a library couldn't be found
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
I've received a request for a change to gold that would suppress the
hundreds of useless unresolved symbol errors that follow an error for
a missing library (as all the unresolved symbols would have been
resolved by the missing library).
It looks like Gnu ld works like this already -- the link terminates
before printing any unresolved symbol errors. (But if there are
multiple files that can't be found, it does print them all before
Any objections to changing gold so that the unresolved symbol errors
don't get printed? Does Gnu simply exit before getting that far, or
does it suppress the unresolved symbol errors?