This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Global array is at an offset from the top of the bss section, instead of being at the top
- From: Nagaraju Mekala <gnuuser dot raj at gmail dot com>
- To: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 11:20:49 +0530
- Subject: Global array is at an offset from the top of the bss section, instead of being at the top
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
I want to understand why few bytes are reserved in start of the bss section
I have an array defined on top of the source code as follow:
static int DestinationAddress[BUF_SIZE] ;
My expectation is the linker will put it on top of the .bss section.
However I notice there are always 28 bytes sitting in front of
DestinationAddress no matter what I do.
ffff0000 l .bss 00000000 completed.8489
ffff0004 l .bss 00000000 object.8494
ffff001c l O .bss 00007000 DestinationAddress
I was hoping the linker puts DestinationAddress at 0xffff0000. It is
not clear to me what these items (completed.8489, object.8494) are.
Can anyone please throw some light on it.
Thanks in Advance,