This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Require GNU make?
- From: Tom Tromey <tromey at redhat dot com>
- To: Pedro Alves <palves at redhat dot com>
- Cc: Hans-Peter Nilsson <hans-peter dot nilsson at axis dot com>, binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2014 12:32:49 -0600
- Subject: Re: Require GNU make?
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <201405201619 dot s4KGJpRg002591 at ignucius dot se dot axis dot com> <201405281315 dot s4SDFpU2031819 at ignucius dot se dot axis dot com> <20140528141505 dot GJ6679 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org> <53870721 dot 3080402 at redhat dot com>
>>>>> "Pedro" == Pedro Alves <email@example.com> writes:
Pedro> I was kind of hoping binutils would start requiring it, so
Pedro> we could use it as excuse for GDB to require it as well. :-)
FWIW, to do actual development on gdb, you pretty much need GNU make --
dependency tracking only works with GNU make.
I think the argument for Makefile portability was pretty strong 15 years
ago, but isn't very important now. I'm in favor of switching.