This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Require GNU make?
- From: Jeff Law <law at redhat dot com>
- To: Ralf Corsepius <ralf dot corsepius at rtems dot org>, binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 09:32:32 -0600
- Subject: Re: Require GNU make?
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <201405201619 dot s4KGJpRg002591 at ignucius dot se dot axis dot com> <201405281315 dot s4SDFpU2031819 at ignucius dot se dot axis dot com> <20140528141505 dot GJ6679 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org> <53870721 dot 3080402 at redhat dot com> <53872DEC dot 1050209 at arm dot com> <538730C1 dot 6040105 at rtems dot org>
On 05/29/14 07:06, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
Correct. 3.80 or later. I don't think we exploit too many GNU make
features, but gmake 3.80 is now a prerequisite for GCC.
On 05/29/2014 02:54 PM, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
Not directly relevant, but I put a feature into the newlib build earlier
this year that relied on a GNU make extension. There were no objections
at the time I did that.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC, GCC already requires gmake.
I'd be surprised if anyone is using newlib with anything other than gcc.
But then again, I'm continually surprised by how some folks bolt
together various components to build systems.
As newlib is commonly used with GCC, probably everybody who uses newlib
also uses gmake :-)