Re: Require GNU make?

On 29/05/14 11:08, Pedro Alves wrote:
> On 05/28/2014 03:15 PM, Alan Modra wrote:
>> On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 03:15:51PM +0200, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
>>> Ping.  I'd rather *not* tie this fix to moving to require GNU
>>> make, please.
>>
>> OK then, since no one else has supported moving to GNU make.
>
> (not speaking for tying the fix, but,)
>
> Seems no one objected either.  Changed subject to catch attention.
>
> I was kind of hoping binutils would start requiring it, so
> we could use it as excuse for GDB to require it as well.  :-)

Not directly relevant, but I put a feature into the newlib build earlier
this year that relied on a GNU make extension.  There were no objections
at the time I did that.

My feelings are that if there are good technical reasons to require GNU
Make (ie no way to avoid the requirement without seriously convoluted
changes), we should go ahead and do it.

R.