This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [RFA:] fix PR ld/16963, missing SEARCH_DIR for non-sysroot cross-builds
- From: Hans-Peter Nilsson <hans-peter dot nilsson at axis dot com>
- To: amodra at gmail dot com
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 13:23:41 +0200
- Subject: Re: [RFA:] fix PR ld/16963, missing SEARCH_DIR for non-sysroot cross-builds
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
> From: Alan Modra <firstname.lastname@example.org>
> Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 11:21:23 +0200
> On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 12:48:09AM +0200, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
> > There seems to be no reason to have a separate rule for each
> > invocation, when using a central rule would suffice.
> Only that we've avoided depending on GNU make so far. I'm not against
> the idea, if Nick wants to make that change.
To clarify, as indicated by the Austin group link (beware:
pointer chasing there), this is not "depending on GNU make", but
"depending on anything but IRIX make".
And reading again, I was wrong on the safe side re: IRIX; "all
known makes" were ok, including IRIX 6.5 (just that it supported
"only" one level of indirection, that's what's used here). So,
"should work everywhere" with a definition of "everywhere" four
years ago being "IRIX 6.5, AIX 4.3.3, Tru64 4.0D, Solaris 2.6,
HP-UX 10.20, NetBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and of course GNU".