This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
- From: Michael Meeks <michael dot meeks at collabora dot com>
- To: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Cc: Tor Lillqvist <tml at collabora dot com>
- Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 20:15:58 +0100
- Subject: why_live ?
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
Sorry to be a pain - but I couldn't dig this out of the mail archive /
web page. We've a code size problem (this is LibreOffice ;-) that we're
solving with -ffunction-sections --gc-sections et. al. which works
really nicely great.
However, there are still a number of things stuck in there that it is
hard to determine why they are needed; of course - it is possible to manually
remove them, and see who the linker complains about wrt. their users :-) and
repeat that process to get some view of why; however Apple's linker has a
-why_live parameter that helps a lot here:
I was wondering if gold / ld have some moral equivalent ? The output
shows the chain of references that suck the symbol on; eg.
Is there an equivalent for binutils ?
email@example.com <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot