This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
RE: [PATCH] Fix alignment for the first section frag on xtensa
- From: Marc Gauthier <marc at cadence dot com>
- To: Sterling Augustine <augustine dot sterling at gmail dot com>, Max Filippov <jcmvbkbc at gmail dot com>
- Cc: "binutils at sourceware dot org" <binutils at sourceware dot org>, David Weatherford <weath at cadence dot com>, "linux-xtensa at linux-xtensa dot org" <linux-xtensa at linux-xtensa dot org>
- Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 18:40:30 -0700
- Subject: RE: [PATCH] Fix alignment for the first section frag on xtensa
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1398077682-22196-1-git-send-email-jcmvbkbc at gmail dot com> <CAGSvup85+Kqr56KqE6E3rw-jjepL==vezon1c9Q+P2NcdUX3wA at mail dot gmail dot com>
Sterling Augustine wrote:
> It seems likely to me that I could construct a case that made for a
> failure even after this patch is applied.
> The real bug is in the linker relaxation mechanism for not honoring
> the section's alignment request. Linking should not change the
> alignment of the subsection, without regard to special Xtensa
> extensions--that violates Elf semantics.
FWIW, I believe David looked at doing a linker fix, but found it
more complicated than he liked, and preferred Max's simpler patch.
> Nonetheless, as the fix is likely to modify the linker so that the
> alignment of the section is propagated to the first basic block,
> pre-empting that by having the assembler do it is probably OK. So I
> approve this patch.
> Now would be a good time to get write-after-approval permission, so
> you can check this in yourself.