This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH] PR ld/16756: Incorrect warning message
- From: Alan Modra <amodra at gmail dot com>
- To: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 12:54:48 +1030
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] PR ld/16756: Incorrect warning message
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20140326192417 dot GA8618 at intel dot com>
On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 12:24:17PM -0700, H.J. Lu wrote:
> This patch scans all input files for symbol reference warning if the
> symbol reference doesn't exist in the current input file. It issues a
> warning only if a reference is found. When LTO inlines or removes all
> references to the symbol, we won't issue the symbol reference warning.
> OK to install?
This description isn't exactly correct. The previous code used to
warn if there was a reference. You're changing ld to only warn if
there is a reference *in a relocation*.
I'm not sure that is a good idea. ie. I think the following fallback
> - einfo ("%B: %s%s\n", abfd, _("warning: "), warning);
Patch is OK with that change.
Australia Development Lab, IBM