This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: vdso handling
- From: Mark Wielaard <mjw at redhat dot com>
- To: Alan Modra <amodra at gmail dot com>
- Cc: Cary Coutant <ccoutant at google dot com>, Doug Evans <dje at google dot com>, "Metzger, Markus T" <markus dot t dot metzger at intel dot com>, "gdb at sourceware dot org" <gdb at sourceware dot org>, "binutils at sourceware dot org" <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 10:52:16 +0100
- Subject: Re: vdso handling
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <A78C989F6D9628469189715575E55B230AA884EB at IRSMSX104 dot ger dot corp dot intel dot com> <20140312071701 dot GW26922 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org> <CADPb22SAmK5JB3muW_nCvuHN5L-aOcdyzYNR+OtnM3bA1x_OJg at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAHACq4o=HmdCo1FPFL-96raf2UN805jvM=VZM-9dbKrmzJFJTw at mail dot gmail dot com> <20140313010147 dot GZ26922 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org>
On Thu, 2014-03-13 at 11:31 +1030, Alan Modra wrote:
> It wouldn't
> help in the vdso case anyway, since the problem there is that you only
> have the loaded part of the original ELF file.
Note that the vdso is often special, compared to other ELF dsos, because
the loaded part is just the complete ELF image in memory. Since they are
very simple they will just have one PT_LOAD at offset zero and if the
image is smaller than the page size then the whole file is just simply
mapped into memory completely. So by fetching the vdso ELF image from
remote memory you should be able to get the section headers and the
not-allocated sections too.