This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [patch gas]: Set correct dwarf2 return column value for x64 windows target
- From: Kai Tietz <ktietz70 at googlemail dot com>
- To: Pierre Muller <pierre dot muller at ics-cnrs dot unistra dot fr>
- Cc: Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>, Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>
- Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 08:19:06 +0100
- Subject: Re: [patch gas]: Set correct dwarf2 return column value for x64 windows target
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <AANLkTinDtRSo4e4dNOg1cZ9ptn9ZKv1_mkNJNaaua-OT at mail dot gmail dot com> <52b0ee91 dot 86f7440a dot 25e6 dot 54c3SMTPIN_ADDED_BROKEN at mx dot google dot com>
Hmm, the call-clobber-set is still different between x86_64 abi and
x64 ms abi. So this is for sure not the case. It is a bit long ago
to recall all details. nevertheless save-region for x64 is/was quite
You weren't trying by accident to use x86_64 abi to interpret x64 one?
2013/12/18 Pierre Muller <email@example.com>:
> Hi all,
> sorry to dig out this very old stuff...
> but I do not understand that patch which
> seem to me to be responsible for the fact that
> mingw64 CFI states that the return column is 32 (which corresponds to xmm15
> This is also seen in GDB where info frame always states
> that register xmm15 is saved at the same location than rip...
> In fact, I was puzzled by this xmm15 saved register and it took me some
> to understand why xmm15 was used.
> I finally tracked it down to the patch below,
> and by reverting it in gas/cconfig/tc-i386.c
> I was able to get more sensible frame information both
> with objdump -W and with GDB.
> Could it be that the reason of your patch:
> " which has a different call-clobber set."
> does not apply anymore and that thus using 16 which is indeed
> the dwarf register number of RIP register
> is the correct value?
> Pierre Muller...
> tired after a long bug hunt...
> PS: I also tried out the cygwin64 target and the patch
> seems also wrong there.
>> -----Message d'origine-----
>> De : firstname.lastname@example.org [mailto:binutils-
>> email@example.com] De la part de Kai Tietz
>> Envoyé : vendredi 21 janvier 2011 17:06
>> À : Binutils
>> Cc : Nick Clifton
>> Objet : [patch gas]: Set correct dwarf2 return column value for x64
>> windows target
>> this patch corrects the value of dwarf2_return_column in tc-i386 for
>> x64 windows, which has a different call-clobber set.
>> 2011-01-21 Kai Tietz
>> * config/tc-i386.c (md_begin): Set for x64 windows COFF target
>> x86_dwarf2_return_column to 32.
>> Tested for x86-64-pc-mingw32. Ok for apply?