This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [gold, strip] Question about the changed offset when stripping
- From: Alexander Ivchenko <aivchenk at gmail dot com>
- To: Alexander Ivchenko <aivchenk at gmail dot com>, Cary Coutant <ccoutant at google dot com>, binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>, Ian Lance Taylor <iant at google dot com>
- Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 15:39:51 +0400
- Subject: Re: [gold, strip] Question about the changed offset when stripping
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CACysShjNGcO=Y5ZU=QDLWetw31FRZUu7ZYbvo2DyJWZ+eOZZ2Q at mail dot gmail dot com> <20131129134722 dot GN9211 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org> <CAHACq4qbwykqOcTjuQovsqoE0d2dC4FAAtfZOxr=0XrYsViJqw at mail dot gmail dot com> <20131203100957 dot GA3306 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org> <CACysShi4sKtg_R6RAhGmgKs0qRuvbsU3fLpC-Hz27YMy-sGtrA at mail dot gmail dot com> <20131203112323 dot GC3306 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org>
2013/12/3 Alan Modra <email@example.com>:
> On Tue, Dec 03, 2013 at 02:30:48PM +0400, Alexander Ivchenko wrote:
>> Still, it looks a bit strange that strip did the job that it was not
>> asked for: erasing the padding between got.plt and bss.
> No, strip didn't change any padding. The VMA is unchanged after strip.
> Since .bss is not loaded from file, the file offset hardly matters.
Well, still it did change the padding between the "file offset of
.got.plt + size of (.got.plt)" and "file offset of .bss".
Even if it hardly matters, I did not ask strip to do that. But anyway,
I see your point, thanks.