This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [gold, strip] Question about the changed offset when stripping
- From: Alan Modra <amodra at gmail dot com>
- To: Alexander Ivchenko <aivchenk at gmail dot com>
- Cc: Cary Coutant <ccoutant at google dot com>, binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>, Ian Lance Taylor <iant at google dot com>
- Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 21:53:23 +1030
- Subject: Re: [gold, strip] Question about the changed offset when stripping
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CACysShjNGcO=Y5ZU=QDLWetw31FRZUu7ZYbvo2DyJWZ+eOZZ2Q at mail dot gmail dot com> <20131129134722 dot GN9211 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org> <CAHACq4qbwykqOcTjuQovsqoE0d2dC4FAAtfZOxr=0XrYsViJqw at mail dot gmail dot com> <20131203100957 dot GA3306 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org> <CACysShi4sKtg_R6RAhGmgKs0qRuvbsU3fLpC-Hz27YMy-sGtrA at mail dot gmail dot com>
On Tue, Dec 03, 2013 at 02:30:48PM +0400, Alexander Ivchenko wrote:
> Still, it looks a bit strange that strip did the job that it was not
> asked for: erasing the padding between got.plt and bss.
No, strip didn't change any padding. The VMA is unchanged after strip.
Since .bss is not loaded from file, the file offset hardly matters.
Australia Development Lab, IBM