This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [gold, strip] Question about the changed offset when stripping
- From: Alan Modra <amodra at gmail dot com>
- To: Cary Coutant <ccoutant at google dot com>
- Cc: Alexander Ivchenko <aivchenk at gmail dot com>, binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>, Ian Lance Taylor <iant at google dot com>
- Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 20:39:58 +1030
- Subject: Re: [gold, strip] Question about the changed offset when stripping
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CACysShjNGcO=Y5ZU=QDLWetw31FRZUu7ZYbvo2DyJWZ+eOZZ2Q at mail dot gmail dot com> <20131129134722 dot GN9211 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org> <CAHACq4qbwykqOcTjuQovsqoE0d2dC4FAAtfZOxr=0XrYsViJqw at mail dot gmail dot com>
On Mon, Dec 02, 2013 at 02:09:53PM -0800, Cary Coutant wrote:
> >> As you can see the offset of .bss is changed now (it is equal now to
> >> the offset of got.plt+size of gol.plt).
> >> Is it criminal? I don't see anything wrong with gold inserting a
> >> padding between .got.plt and .bss, why strip do not honor it?
> > strip should not be doing this. Please post the pre-stripped binary,
> > so someone can take a look, or better, open a bug report.
> It looks like only the file offset changed, and the file offset is
> irrelevant for a BSS section. I don't think strip is doing any harm
Oh right. I misread the readelf fields, for some reason thinking that
offset came first.
Australia Development Lab, IBM