This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Release 2.24
- From: Tristan Gingold <gingold at adacore dot com>
- To: Maciej W. Rozycki <macro at codesourcery dot com>
- Cc: Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>, Richard Sandiford <rdsandiford at googlemail dot com>, <binutils at sourceware dot org>, <gdb-patches at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 10:15:22 +0100
- Subject: Re: Release 2.24
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <2741C968-721F-46E9-A2BA-E4B0F64C444B at adacore dot com> <BB32BE2A-A3CC-494C-9FB2-CFD322F49EA3 at adacore dot com> <alpine dot DEB dot 1 dot 10 dot 1309182134580 dot 4379 at tp dot orcam dot me dot uk> <20130918213245 dot GO3132 at adacore dot com> <alpine dot DEB dot 1 dot 10 dot 1309182238430 dot 4379 at tp dot orcam dot me dot uk> <alpine dot DEB dot 1 dot 10 dot 1311181646080 dot 21686 at tp dot orcam dot me dot uk> <20131118172117 dot GD3481 at adacore dot com> <alpine dot DEB dot 1 dot 10 dot 1311211718410 dot 21686 at tp dot orcam dot me dot uk>
if I understand correctly, the patches aren't for binutils (just for gdb). Is that correct ?
On Nov 21, 2013, at 8:25 PM, Maciej W. Rozycki <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Nov 2013, Joel Brobecker wrote:
>>> I see 2.24 is about to roll out, so I'll try to find some time this week
>>> to make the necessary adjustments for a matching GDB 7.6.2 maintenance
>>> release -- assuming as per your recent statement, that making 7.7 can take
>>> a while yet.
>> What are your parameters? I've started working on the scripts this
>> weekend, and unfortunately for me, I am bursting with ideas of things
>> to try out - this is going to be helpful for the future, but not so
>> good for the present. I am planning on working on it an hour every day,
>> so I should have branching hopefully done soon, and then at least
>> pre-release creation done right after that.
>> To explain a bit the delay, the switch to git is more than just
>> changing some configuration-management commands in the script.
>> Git opens up the door for doing things a little differently.
>> For instance, I will have the scripts sends the email for me,
>> instead of me doing some tedious copy/pasting - this is now possible
>> because I don't have to be afraid of losing the connection to
>> sourceware while creating the branch from a repo on my laptop.
>> Same thing for GPG signing.
>> If the delay is unbearable to your platform, then we'll need to
>> temporary re-open the CVS, and produce an extra release from there.
>> Or the alternative is to produce a release by hand, but that would
>> take much more time, I think. Neither of these 2 options are
>> attractive, so it'd be better if we could wait for me to be ready.
> The 2.24 release will break debugging of MIPS16 and microMIPS binaries.
> Here are 7.6 branch testsuite results for these two ISA variations