This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Release 2.24
- From: Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>
- To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro at codesourcery dot com>, Tom Tromey <tromey at redhat dot com>
- Cc: Tristan Gingold <gingold at adacore dot com>, Richard Sandiford <rdsandiford at googlemail dot com>, binutils at sourceware dot org, gdb-patches at sourceware dot org
- Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 11:43:41 +0400
- Subject: Re: Release 2.24
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <2741C968-721F-46E9-A2BA-E4B0F64C444B at adacore dot com> <BB32BE2A-A3CC-494C-9FB2-CFD322F49EA3 at adacore dot com> <alpine dot DEB dot 1 dot 10 dot 1309182134580 dot 4379 at tp dot orcam dot me dot uk> <20130918213245 dot GO3132 at adacore dot com> <alpine dot DEB dot 1 dot 10 dot 1309182238430 dot 4379 at tp dot orcam dot me dot uk> <alpine dot DEB dot 1 dot 10 dot 1311181646080 dot 21686 at tp dot orcam dot me dot uk> <20131118172117 dot GD3481 at adacore dot com> <alpine dot DEB dot 1 dot 10 dot 1311211718410 dot 21686 at tp dot orcam dot me dot uk> <20131122021904 dot GN3481 at adacore dot com>
> . Once that's done, I have 2 options:
> (1) Create the new relase off the git repository, but create
> the release either manually or with the new scripts;
> (2) Push the commit to the CVS repo, and re-use the old
> scripts to make the release.
> If it's only a handful of patches, my preference would be to play it
> safe, and go with option (2). Pushing the patches to the CVS repo is
> super easy thanks to "git cvsexportcommit", but we will need the help
> of someone like Tom to temporary re-open the CVS (or, if Tom prefers,
> he can cvsexportcommit the patches himself, and let us know when he
> is done).
On second thoughts, there is fairly significant drawback in using
the CVS repository. The release process involves making some commits
as well as creating a tag, and we would want all of that in our git
repo. If we use the CVS repository, we'll have to import those changes
back from CVS into git.
I'm starting to lean towards doing everything in git, and fixup any
problem if necessary.