This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [Patch, avr] Set data section's LMA to AT> text instead of end of .text
- From: nick clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>
- To: Senthil Kumar Selvaraj <senthil_kumar dot selvaraj at atmel dot com>, binutils at sourceware dot org
- Cc: chertykov at gmail dot com
- Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 15:44:26 +0000
- Subject: Re: [Patch, avr] Set data section's LMA to AT> text instead of end of .text
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20131118124055 dot GC4043 at atmel dot com>
This patch sets the LMA for the .data section to the next available
address in the text region (AT> text), rather than ADDR(.text) + SIZE(.text).
This prevents address overlap errors from the linker if there are
other sections (unknown to the default linker script) that go into the text region.
[You mean SIZEOF(.text) not SIZE(.text)...]
This does not sound correct. SIZEOF (.text) should return the size of
the entire .text section, including any input sections that have been
assigned there by the linker even though they were not mentioned in the
linker script. If you have a situation where the linker is not
evaluating SIZEOF correctly then please report it - it is a bug.