Re: [ld] ld COFF support??

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 12:12 AM, Megora Chai <megorachan@hotmail.com> wrote:

> For a school assignment we are looking at how different file formats are
> linked. I am trying to examine the linking process of some formats using ld
> from binutils. Is LD able to link COFF format files (.obj or .lib) generated
> by microsoft tools?

The Microsoft object file format is based on COFF, but it is
significantly different and can not reasonably be called COFF any
more.  It is normally called PE.

In any case the GNU linker is able to link both PE and COFF files.

(COFF == Common Object File Format and was created by AT&T for SVR3.
PE == Portable Executable and was created by Microsoft, based on COFF,
for Windows NT and Windows 95.)

Ian