This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Release 2.24
- From: Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>
- To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro at codesourcery dot com>
- Cc: Tristan Gingold <gingold at adacore dot com>, Richard Sandiford <rdsandiford at googlemail dot com>, binutils at sourceware dot org, gdb-patches at sourceware dot org
- Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 14:32:45 -0700
- Subject: Re: Release 2.24
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <2741C968-721F-46E9-A2BA-E4B0F64C444B at adacore dot com> <BB32BE2A-A3CC-494C-9FB2-CFD322F49EA3 at adacore dot com> <alpine dot DEB dot 1 dot 10 dot 1309182134580 dot 4379 at tp dot orcam dot me dot uk>
> Just as a reminder, can we please coordinate so that GDB 7.7 is released
> before binutils 2.24?
It's fine with GDB of course if the Binutils projects wants to wait
for the GDB 7.7 release, but my guess is that we are quite a ways
away from it: We need the git transition to be done first, then
we need to make the branch and stabilize it towards a release state.
> On the MIPS target we've switched PLT formats produced by LD for MIPS16
> and microMIPS binaries and for correct frame unwinding GDB has to
> understand them. Otherwise it'll fail in odd ways, e.g. when stepping
> over a function called via PLT. Of course all code required is there in
> our shared repository, it's just a matter of making the releases in the
> right order so that ordinary developers have a version of GDB to upgrade
> to available if needed.
Can you patch gdb-7.6 to understand the new format as well as
the old one with a patch that could be deemed safe? Perhaps it would
make sense to make a 7.6.2 release just for MIPS.