This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [Suggestion] about h8/300 architecture in gcc and binutils
- From: Michael Schewe <michael dot schewe at gmx dot net>
- To: Chen Gang <gang dot chen at asianux dot com>
- Cc: Jeff Law <law at redhat dot com>, "gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org" <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>, linux at roeck-us dot net, Yoshinori Sato <ysato at users dot sourceforge dot jp>, binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 21:55:10 +0200
- Subject: Re: [Suggestion] about h8/300 architecture in gcc and binutils
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <6D39441BF12EF246A7ABCE6654B023533DC32E at LEMAIL01 dot le dot imgtec dot org> <522CAAE0 dot 5010006 at redhat dot com> <6D39441BF12EF246A7ABCE6654B023533E40C5 at LEMAIL01 dot le dot imgtec dot org> <522E7255 dot 6080301 at asianux dot com> <522E81B0 dot 6080403 at redhat dot com> <522E888A dot 2060005 at asianux dot com>
if you like to drop h8/300 support in linux kernel, thats OK for me.
But i like to see it still supported in gcc & binutils, at least i have some projects and know companies using this architecture in embedded applications, bare
metal without OS. These products have lifetime in range of 10...20 years and need toolchain support for software-updates.
Please note for answers: i am only subscribed to binutils mailing list.
Chen Gang schrieb:
On 09/10/2013 10:19 AM, Jeff Law wrote:
On 09/09/2013 07:13 PM, Chen Gang wrote:
After google search and check the Linux kernel, H8/300 is dead, and for
gcc-4.9.0 and binutils-2.23.2 still has h8300, do we still need it for
another OS ?
Welcome any suggestions or completions, thanks.
The related information in linux kernel next tree:
Author: Guenter Roeck<firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Fri Aug 30 06:01:49 2013 -0700
Drop support for Renesas H8/300 (h8300) architecture
H8/300 has been dead for several years, and the kernel for it
has not compiled for ages. Drop support for it.
Cc: Yoshinori Sato<email@example.com>
Acked-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman<firstname.lastname@example.org>
Signed-off-by: Guenter Roeck<email@example.com>
The related information in gcc/binutils:
We can build h8300 cross-compiler for Linux kernel, successfully,
but it has many bugs when building Linux kernel with -Os.
if we still need h8300 for another OS, is it still valuable to send
these bugs to Bugzilla (although it is found under Linux)?
It is still useful to send code generation bugs for the H8/300 series to
the GCC folks.
OK, thanks, I will wait for 1-2 days which may get another members'
opinions for discussing.
If no additional opinions, I will report them to Bugzilla, and I should
try to continue 'work' with related members (although I am a newbie for
compiler and binutils programming).