This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [Suggestion] about h8/300 architecture in gcc and binutils
- From: Chen Gang <gang dot chen at asianux dot com>
- To: Jeff Law <law at redhat dot com>
- Cc: "gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org" <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>, linux at roeck-us dot net, Yoshinori Sato <ysato at users dot sourceforge dot jp>, binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 10:48:42 +0800
- Subject: Re: [Suggestion] about h8/300 architecture in gcc and binutils
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <6D39441BF12EF246A7ABCE6654B023533DC32E at LEMAIL01 dot le dot imgtec dot org> <522CAAE0 dot 5010006 at redhat dot com> <6D39441BF12EF246A7ABCE6654B023533E40C5 at LEMAIL01 dot le dot imgtec dot org> <522E7255 dot 6080301 at asianux dot com> <522E81B0 dot 6080403 at redhat dot com>
On 09/10/2013 10:19 AM, Jeff Law wrote:
> On 09/09/2013 07:13 PM, Chen Gang wrote:
>> Hello Maintainers:
>> After google search and check the Linux kernel, H8/300 is dead, and for
>> gcc-4.9.0 and binutils-2.23.2 still has h8300, do we still need it for
>> another OS ?
>> Welcome any suggestions or completions, thanks.
>> The related information in linux kernel next tree:
>> commit d02babe847bf96b82b12cc4e4e90028ac3fac73f
>> Author: Guenter Roeck <firstname.lastname@example.org>
>> Date: Fri Aug 30 06:01:49 2013 -0700
>> Drop support for Renesas H8/300 (h8300) architecture
>> H8/300 has been dead for several years, and the kernel for it
>> has not compiled for ages. Drop support for it.
>> Cc: Yoshinori Sato <email@example.com>
>> Acked-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <firstname.lastname@example.org>
>> Signed-off-by: Guenter Roeck <email@example.com>
>> The related information in gcc/binutils:
>> We can build h8300 cross-compiler for Linux kernel, successfully,
>> but it has many bugs when building Linux kernel with -Os.
>> if we still need h8300 for another OS, is it still valuable to send
>> these bugs to Bugzilla (although it is found under Linux)?
> It is still useful to send code generation bugs for the H8/300 series to
> the GCC folks.
OK, thanks, I will wait for 1-2 days which may get another members'
opinions for discussing.
If no additional opinions, I will report them to Bugzilla, and I should
try to continue 'work' with related members (although I am a newbie for
compiler and binutils programming).