This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: MPX ABI extension
- From: Ilya Enkovich <enkovich dot gnu at gmail dot com>
- To: Kalle Olavi Niemitalo <kon at iki dot fi>
- Cc: GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>, GCC Development <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>, "Melik-Adamyan, Areg" <areg dot melik-adamyan at intel dot com>, "Girkar, Milind" <milind dot girkar at intel dot com>, Vyacheslav P <vyacheslav dot p dot zakharin at intel dot com>, "Kreitzer, David L" <david dot l dot kreitzer at intel dot com>, "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 17:33:25 +0400
- Subject: Re: MPX ABI extension
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAMbmDYYUH+iAE9mASkUfoGYOxvUfJSQvUpvYUXF+_CK2-ZXhrA at mail dot gmail dot com> <87ob8j64m9 dot fsf at Niukka dot kon dot iki dot fi>
2013/8/27 Kalle Olavi Niemitalo <email@example.com>:
> Ilya Enkovich <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
>> - When we pass (return) pointer on register, we use the next
>> available bound register to pass (return) bounds
> From the wording, it seems function pointers get bounds too.
> If so, it might be good to state that explicitly.
> I suppose they would be all-of-memory bounds though,
> due to the lack of hardware support for checking them.
My wording may seem ambiguous for function pointers but in ABI
document register classes description enumerates all types assigned to
each class. I think it does not allow to assume other class than
POINTER for function pointers.