This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH] fix PR symtab/15597
- From: nick clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>
- To: Tom Tromey <tromey at redhat dot com>, gdb-patches at sourceware dot org
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 12:23:06 +0100
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] fix PR symtab/15597
- References: <1375983426-19308-1-git-send-email-tromey at redhat dot com>
This patch touches BFD. Previously, gdb had its own code for parsing
.gnu_debugaltlink; I changed it to use the BFD functions after those
were introduced. However, the BFD functions are incorrect -- they
assume that .gnu_debugaltlink is formatted like .gnu_debuglink.
However, it it is not. Instead, it consists of a file name followed
by the build-id -- no alignment, and the build-id is not a CRC.
Fixing this properly is a bit of a pain. But, because
separate_alt_debug_file_exists just has a FIXME for the build-id case,
I did not fix it properly. Instead I introduced a hack. This leaves
BFD working just as well as it did before my patch.
I'm willing to do something better here but I could use some guidance
as to what. It seems that the build-id code in BFD is largely punted
True - it would be nice to see this fixed, but it can be left for a
* bfd-in2.h: Rebuild.
* opncls.c (bfd_get_alt_debug_link_info): Add buildid_len
parameter. Change type of buildid_out. Update.
(get_alt_debug_link_info_shim): New function.
(bfd_follow_gnu_debuglink): Use it.
* Makefile.in (SFILES): Add build-id.c.
(HFILES_NO_SRCDIR): Add build-id.h.
* build-id.c: New file, largely from elfread.c. Modified
* build-id.h: New file.
* dwarf2read.c (dwarf2_get_dwz_file): Update for change to
bfd_get_alt_debug_link_info. Verify dwz file's build-id.
Search for dwz file using build-id.
* elfread.c (build_id_bfd_get, build_id_verify)
(build_id_to_debug_filename, find_separate_debug_file): Remove.
Approved - please apply.