Re: preprocessor macro to identify binutils version?

On 08/02/2013 11:46 AM, Andrew Pinski wrote:
On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 11:49 AM, Burlen Loring <bloring@lbl.gov> wrote:
Hi All,

This is my first binutils foray. I'm making use of libbfd to provide
detailed stack trace in an app if it crashes. In testing I've found
systems[*] with older binutils where bfd_find_nearest_line segv's. I'd like
to configure my app to disable the stack trace feature on systems with the
older binutils. Is there a preprocessor macro that can be used to idnetify
the binutils release? if not what's the best way to determine the binutils
version?
Won't it be better to use libdwarf and not use bfd?
BFD is not designed to be used outside of binutils/gdb.  Any use
outside of it I consider it a bug.

Andrew,

That's fairly discouraging news. I was not aware of the intention to keep libbfd use internal to binutils/gdb. I will look into porting to libdwarf. However, if there's a reliable way to identify binutils versions it would be helpful. I'd like to make use of this code during the port.

Burlen