This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [x86-64 psABI]: Extend x86-64 psABI to support AVX-512
- From: Richard Biener <richard dot guenther at gmail dot com>
- To: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- Cc: GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>,GCC Development <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>,Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>,"Girkar, Milind" <milind dot girkar at intel dot com>,"Kreitzer, David L" <david dot l dot kreitzer at intel dot com>
- Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 19:36:31 +0200
- Subject: Re: [x86-64 psABI]: Extend x86-64 psABI to support AVX-512
- References: <CAMe9rOrvMxSLj3LcYBs71tVdw6C0vJFKD2HxvnoHc13UamftwA at mail dot gmail dot com> <ddab98c2-bb3b-4d02-b403-e7d5690cfe00 at email dot android dot com> <CAMe9rOpxErCVtE-PDZ3Yb9mL+4E+XQ-are9Df4YBbEioj+MmZA at mail dot gmail dot com>
"H.J. Lu" <email@example.com> wrote:
>On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 8:23 AM, Richard Biener
>> "H.J. Lu" <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>>>Here is a patch to extend x86-64 psABI to support AVX-512:
>> Afaik avx 512 doubles the amount of xmm registers. Can we get them
>callee saved please?
>Make them callee saved means we need to change ld.so to
>preserve them and we need to change unwind library to
>support them. It is certainly doable.
IMHO it was a mistake to not have any callee saved xmm register in the original abi - we should fix this at this opportunity. Loops with function calls are not that uncommon.