This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [x86-64 psABI]: Extend x86-64 psABI to support AVX-512
- From: "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- To: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- Cc: Richard Biener <richard dot guenther at gmail dot com>, GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>, GCC Development <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>, "Girkar, Milind" <milind dot girkar at intel dot com>, "Kreitzer, David L" <david dot l dot kreitzer at intel dot com>
- Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 15:37:56 +0000
- Subject: Re: [x86-64 psABI]: Extend x86-64 psABI to support AVX-512
- References: <CAMe9rOrvMxSLj3LcYBs71tVdw6C0vJFKD2HxvnoHc13UamftwA at mail dot gmail dot com> <ddab98c2-bb3b-4d02-b403-e7d5690cfe00 at email dot android dot com> <CAMe9rOpxErCVtE-PDZ3Yb9mL+4E+XQ-are9Df4YBbEioj+MmZA at mail dot gmail dot com>
On Wed, 24 Jul 2013, H.J. Lu wrote:
> > Afaik avx 512 doubles the amount of xmm registers. Can we get them
> > callee saved please?
> Make them callee saved means we need to change ld.so to
> preserve them and we need to change unwind library to
> support them. It is certainly doable.
And setjmp/longjmp (with consequent versioning implications if there isn't
enough space in jmp_buf). Avoiding the need for such library changes in
order to use new instruction set features is why it's usual to make new
registers (or new bits of existing registers) call-clobbered.
Joseph S. Myers