This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: building separate debug info on demand fails because CRC and build ID
- From: Steffen Dettmer <steffen dot dettmer at gmail dot com>
- To: binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 20:28:54 +0200
- Subject: Re: building separate debug info on demand fails because CRC and build ID
- References: <CAOBoUnOVJXwq1XHg+YtkG8TSddpqjPnz-zS0Nnp54b3JRZhuKQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <mvmob9u51to dot fsf at hawking dot suse dot de>
thanks for your quick reply!
Debian Wheezy seems to have latest binutils change from 2011-08-19
which is before the patch from 2011/12/14. Team mate told he couldn't
find the patch in the sources but is not sure whether he could have
Do I understand correctly that:
- there was a bug to hash only meta data, not contents
- the bug was fixed introducing a bug to hash NOBITS
- hashing NOBITS lead to more or less random results (I'm just guessing)
- in affected versions the build-id is more or less a random number
(I'm just guessing)
- later / fixed versions ensure that build-ids are the same if
contents is the same?