This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: fix PR15222, excessive LMA alignment
- From: Alan Modra <amodra at gmail dot com>
- To: Sebastian Huber <sebastian dot huber at embedded-brains dot de>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 23:17:16 +0930
- Subject: Re: fix PR15222, excessive LMA alignment
- References: <20130305025239 dot GG562 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org> <51962FF0 dot 3090801 at embedded-brains dot de>
On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 03:26:08PM +0200, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> This change can break linker command files that worked well before
> this change. Example:
Yes, but they wouldn't have worked before
http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2010-12/msg00004.html, would they?
> How do we best address this problem?
> 1. Revert the change.
And revert the above change too? I ask that because the PR15222
reporter's desired LMA behaviour is quite reasonable. Yours is too,
but if we revert just the PR15222 fix there isn't a way to get the old
behaviour, whereas you can get the extra alignment you'd like with
some script changes I think. Note that the PR15222 fix didn't break
your original reported problem when the LMA and VMA regions are the
> 2. Select the behaviour depending on a command line or linker script option.
> 3. Require to fix the existing linker command files.
How many scripts are involved? Sorry to be a pain, but (3) may be the
best choice for the binutils project.
Australia Development Lab, IBM