Re: Setting GNU OSABI on ARM

Hi Will,

I was wondering if someone could help me figure out why all
architectures except ARM seem to set GNU OSABI when GNU indirect
function symbols are present?

The below patch sets GNU OSABI on ARM and lets us run the generic
ifunc tests (that run on i386, x86_64, sparc and powerpc). Is there
some historical reason why this is a bad idea?

I do not know of any historical reason for this. I suspect that it was just an accident of the development of ifunc support.

There may be a practical issue however, in that changing the EI_OSABI field may break OSes that expect it to be set to ELOSABI_ARM So whilst technically I have no objections to the patch I think that it would be wise to provide a configure time option to restore the original behavior.