This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: RFC: Generating per-function DWARF line number sections
- From: Alan Modra <amodra at gmail dot com>
- To: Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 11:45:35 +0930
- Subject: Re: RFC: Generating per-function DWARF line number sections
- References: <87haiyppev dot fsf at redhat dot com>
On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 04:15:36PM +0100, Nick Clifton wrote:
> Note - this is not a full solution to the problem of deleting
> redundant debug information when a section of code is discarded, but
> it is a step along the way. Still to come are fragmentary .debug_info
> sections and grouped sections of code and debug information.
> So - does anyone have any comments or questions ?
Is it worth supporting the old style of grouping by name? Why not
just support ELF section groups? Using names leads to eg. your
_bfd_elf_gc_mark_extra_sections change which is quadratic in number of
Also, why do this in gas? It seems to me that this sort of change
belongs in gcc.
Australia Development Lab, IBM