Force production of ELF hash table

Hello,

I am using ld to link an OS kernel. The kernel produced is a statically linked executable file but supports dynamic modules. I would like to use the hash table functionality of ELF files to quickly look up symbols within the statically linked kernel file for dynamically loading the modules however cannot work out how to ask ld to add the hash table to non-shared outputs. Is it possible? I see from http://elinux.org/images/1/18/C_AMOROSO_Fast_lkm_loader_ELC-E_2009.pdf that the embedded linux guys have had to write their own tool (ksymhash) to modify the vmlinux image after linking but I was wondering whether there was a way to ask ld to do it for me. I am using the x86_64-elf target.

Regards,
John.