This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: archive of archives
- From: NightStrike <nightstrike at gmail dot com>
- To: Cary Coutant <ccoutant at google dot com>
- Cc: Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 12:03:27 -0400
- Subject: Re: archive of archives
- References: <CAF1jjLtCm9Nuua4hytxsvgE1tSnypLUan=R1L6o0BCNjSd437g at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAHACq4qM+2ZziXdncX-VZibHmJ6NArR0fg9yAFy=jFQTN1Z8uw at mail dot gmail dot com>
On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 11:50 AM, Cary Coutant <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>> $ x86_64-w64-mingw32-ar cru liba.a libb.a
>> $ x86_64-w64-mingw32-ranlib liba.a
>> The resulting liba.a doesn't work too well:
>> $ x86_64-w64-mingw32-nm liba.a
>> x86_64-w64-mingw32-nm: liba.a: File format not recognized
>> ..and other failures.
>> Should the above work, though? Alan just kindly fixed a bug that let
>> objdump correctly tell me what's inside liba.a, so presumably it's a
>> supported thing to do. Am I out in left field, though?
> No, it's not supposed to work. You can only nest archives with the thin
> archive option (T). Otherwise, you're just building an archive of ordinary
> files, not a library.
Darn. Ok, thanks for the quick reply.