This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: binutils 2.19.92 linker broke with --as-needed flag
- From: Alan Modra <amodra at gmail dot com>
- To: Vincent Wen <wenvincent90 at gmail dot com>, echristo at gmail dot com
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 13:06:39 +1030
- Subject: Re: binutils 2.19.92 linker broke with --as-needed flag
- References: <CAF_=-cAkxcT55aLt4FL01gKCjjgO-3d1NSuXc4ADuPY3vOodFg at mail dot gmail dot com> <20130328000253 dot GK14552 at bubble dot grove dot modra dot org> <CAF_=-cD=32qSTx9Q=ZUPjU1OyZh-_UmRT518KzK3roW=q2Gqtg at mail dot gmail dot com>
On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 06:54:39PM -0700, Vincent Wen wrote:
> Who is the MIPS maintainer?
Theoretically Eric Christopher, but binutils/MAINTAINERS lists an
old email address and it's been a while since we've seen him around
here. Eric, can you comment on the code below?
> On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 5:02 PM, Alan Modra <email@example.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 10:24:51AM -0700, Vincent Wen wrote:
> >> Alan,
> >> I'd like to know whether the patch for this issue is accepted or not?
> > That really is up to one of the MIPS maintainers. As I said in
> > http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2013-02/msg00159.html the MIPS backend
> > wants _GLOBAL_OFFSET_TABLE_ dynamic for some reason.
> > bh = NULL;
> > if (! (_bfd_generic_link_add_one_symbol
> > (info, abfd, "_GLOBAL_OFFSET_TABLE_", BSF_GLOBAL, s,
> > 0, NULL, FALSE, get_elf_backend_data (abfd)->collect, &bh)))
> > return FALSE;
> > h = (struct elf_link_hash_entry *) bh;
> > h->non_elf = 0;
> > h->def_regular = 1;
> > h->type = STT_OBJECT;
> > elf_hash_table (info)->hgot = h;
> > if (info->shared
> > && ! bfd_elf_link_record_dynamic_symbol (info, h))
> > return FALSE;
> > I think that is just plain wrong, but I don't know the history of this
> > code.
> > Another issue is that your simple one-line patch potentially requires
> > testsuite changes. Have you run the ld testsuite on a native MIPS
> > target after making your change? How about the glibc testsuite?
> >> I tried to replace STV_HIDDEN with STV_PROTECTED and it doesn't work with
> >> our application. Our customer is waiting for the fix and we need to make
> >> the release next week.
> > --
> > Alan Modra
> > Australia Development Lab, IBM
Australia Development Lab, IBM