RE: [Patch, avr] Shrink interrupt vector table down to last used entry

Hi Senthil,

We (avr-libc developers) have considered this before and we rejected it for safety reasons.

IIRC, typically, the "unused" vectors will be filled in to jump to a "bad interrupt" service routine, which sits in a do-nothing loop forever. What this means is that if, for some reason, the end user has accidentally enabled other interrupts unintentionally (e.g., by writing certain values to the wrong register), then that interrupt would be handled in a safe way: it would be stuck in a loop that the user can view in a debugger, letting them determine quickly that somehow an interrupt was wrongly enabled. More importantly, wrong code is not executed that could harm the rest of the embedded system that the AVR devices are in.

If this "optimization" were put in place, then there is the potential that these wrongly-enable interrupts could vector off to some part of the application code, start executing it, without ever having a return from interrupt (RETI), and could wreak havoc with the rest of the system, and also making debugging such a system that much harder.

I would have to see evidence that these devices, especially the XMEGAs, which typically have more code space, are so constrained that such an optimization is warranted over the safety of the overall system. IMHO, it would be better to focus optimization efforts on improving the AVR backend in GCC and code generation, rather than potentially compromising the system in this way.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to reject this patch.

We can have further internal discussions about this if you want.

Eric Weddington
Atmel