This is the mail archive of the mailing list for the binutils project.

Re: h8300-elf-ld aborts with internal error when relax enabled

Hi Michael,

I have some trouble porting 2 projects developed in 2005 with a patched
ld from binutils-2.16 (2 patches from KPIT Renesas support) to current
version (cvs).
ld is used with relax enabled.

h8300-elf-ld: BFD (GNU Binutils) internal error,
aborting at
line 286 in elf32_h8_info_to_howto

Thank you for reporting this error.

Here is a patch to fix the bug:

And thank you even more for the fix.

This works for me; can anyone familiar with this please verify and
check-in this patch (i am new here) ?

The patch is just fine. I have checked it in, along with the changelog entry below. FYI, in the future, if you could report bugs, and potential fixes, via the binutils bugzilla system, that would really help:

2013-01-25  Michael Schewe  <>

	* elf32-h8300.c (elf32_h8_relax_section): When checking for a
	second reloc, make sure that the reloc potentially exists first.