This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH] add all missing section flags to objcopy
- From: Alan Modra <amodra at gmail dot com>
- To: Robert Schiele <rschiele at gmail dot com>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 21:48:55 +1030
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] add all missing section flags to objcopy
- References: <20130124082003.GA23354@linux-e1lq.nsn-intra.net>
On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 09:20:03AM +0100, Robert Schiele wrote:
> I was missing the option to set SEC_MERGE and SEC_STRINGS in objcopy.
> Instead of just adding those two I thought it might be better to make
> the picture complete and just add all that are currently defined.
Many of these flags are internal to BFD. They don't have any
representation in object files. So if a user tries to set SEC_KEEP
for example, there will be no effect on the object file and they'll
say the option is broken. Please select only the set of flags that
actually change something in an object file. Yes, some flags will
only work with ELF. That's fine. I just don't want objcopy options
that do nothing on *any* object format.
Australia Development Lab, IBM