Re: invocation of mips_elf_multi_got can cause not enough GOT space for local GOT entries

Hi again,

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 10:48 AM, Robert Schiele <rschiele@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 10:18 AM, Robert Schiele <rschiele@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The offending relocations are R_MIPS_GOT_PAGE relocations against
>> .rodata.str1.8 sections.
>
> And giving that one further thought, this section is SHF_MERGE |
> SHF_STRINGS and thus it is kind of expected that from the merging it
> could happen that the offsets of those relocations can change for a
> different amount since other stuff could have been merged in between.
> If that happens it is actually quite likely that they can cover more
> pages than they initially did and thus the assumption mentioned above
> that you can get an upper bound of pages affected by just summing up
> the affected pages of the individual objects before is no longer true.

This might for sure not be the smartest solution but at least it
should fix it (and does in my case) if I just replace the

g->local_gotno += (pages < g->page_gotno ? pages : g->page_gotno);

with the conservative

g->local_gotno += pages;

Does anyone see a problem with that? Do you expect major penalties
from this super conservative approach?

Robert