Re: git mirror at sources.redhat.com down?

On Sat, 27 Oct 2012, Andreas Schwab wrote:

> Hans-Peter Nilsson <hp@bitrange.com> writes:
>
> > On Fri, 26 Oct 2012, Cary Coutant wrote:
> >> I'm getting the following error when trying to pull from
> >> git://sources.redhat.com/git/binutils:
> >>
> >> fatal: unable to connect to sources.redhat.com:
> >> sources.redhat.com[0: 209.132.183.64]: errno=Connection timed out
> >>
> >> Is the git mirror down, or am I experiencing some connectivity problem
> >> from inside Google? (I can ping sources.redhat.com, but git fetch/pull
> >> doesn't work.)
> >
> > I'm *guessing* it's some kind of DNS-related problem, with the
> > obsolete name sources.redhat.com fading in and out from
> > nameservers (from the client perspective).
>
> Since sources.redhat.com and sourceware.org resolve to the same IP this
> (transient) failure is of course completely independent of DNS.

You're putting too much trust in the error message for that "of
course".  All I'd trust that error message to tell, is that
there's a connection error and that the name sources.redhat.com
is involved.  Consider what'd happen if you connect to a
name-resolving proxy that couldn't resolve sources.redhat.com
and had flaws in error handling.  See also the post the other
day with the exact same error message for a "direct" CVS
connection.  I'd expect that person to come back if
s/sources.redhat.com/sourceware.org/ didn't solve her problem.
Which of course may still happen and is no proof of anything
unless you're looking at the source-code ewhere the error
message is emitted...

brgds, H-P