Re: Issue Tracker Used? Git migration checklist.

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012, Fred Cooke wrote:

> Given such a single central master repository with no gatekeeper (bad
> idea?) and many many committers, a hook would also be required to
> prevent people from force pushing the golden copy. It'd  be much wiser
> to have a shared repository that wasn't the public master, and the
> golden copy that was pushed to by a trusted few from the shared one,
> post review and perhaps clean up.

Don't try to invent structures different from what's standard in GNU
toolchain work, which is a shared repository everyone relevant can push
to.  I'm presuming patch review practice is unchanged (i.e. patches posted
to the most appropriate mailing lists for the projects using the shared
toplevel, and reviewed there).  Configuration saying what pushes are
allowed is part of what would need reviewing for the shared repository
(this particular repository would be simple - no tags, no branches other
than master needed, so no questions about permissions for deleting tags
and branches, as all tagging and branching would continue to be done in
the repositories for the substantive projects that import files from this
repository for the shared toplevel).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com