This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [GOLD] add new method for computing a build ID
- From: David Miller <davem at davemloft dot net>
- To: gpike at chromium dot org
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 15:25:44 -0400 (EDT)
- Subject: Re: [GOLD] add new method for computing a build ID
- References: <20121003192017.342EF1E0A04@geoffp.mtv.corp.google.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 12:20:17 -0700 (PDT)
> Motivation for the change: computing a build ID is currently a
> sequential bottleneck. E.g., in the example I mentioned in my email
> yesterday, a 24.5s link was spending 5.2s on the build ID computation.
Have you tried linking with OpenSSL and using their optimized MD5 and
SHA1 variants? I bet it makes a huge difference, some cpus even have
SHA1 and MD5 instructions.
For example, on my machine we can SHA1 at a rate of 760MB/sec and
MD5 at a rate of ~775MB/sec.