This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Configure option to enable plugin in ar,nm and ranlib by default?
- From: Ian Lance Taylor <iant at google dot com>
- To: Markus Trippelsdorf <markus at trippelsdorf dot de>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 15:47:23 -0700
- Subject: Re: Configure option to enable plugin in ar,nm and ranlib by default?
- References: <20120914165355.GA282@x4>
On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 9:53 AM, Markus Trippelsdorf
> Wouldn't it make sense to add a configure option that enables the plugin
> by default for ar,nm and ranlib? The path to the plugin could be
> specified at configure time. That would allow one to eventually get rid
> of the various wrappers (gcc-ar, etc.) that are currently in use.
In the usual course of events, the binutils are built first, then GCC
is built. So configuring the binutils to use a GCC plugin would mean
building them once, building GCC, then building them again. That
doesn't seem to make much sense to me.
What I think might make sense would be to have the binutils support an
environment variable for a default plugin. If the environment
variable is set and no -plugin option is used, the plugin named by the
environment variable would automatically be used.